Thursday, January 15, 2009

Whatever You Do, See These Movies

Hello faithful readers, newcomers and all open minded people! As promised before here is a new posting for you. It's a new year and there are already a plethora of films slated for release each weekend. As you stand in line to purchase tickets, grab an inexpensive and refreshing Coke at the concession stand and mosey on into the theater to find a comfortable seat, I want you to think about those films from the not so distant 2008. Did you see them all? Will you see the ones with buzz before the Academy Awards? Is The Visitor about aliens invading from outer space? Why would I see a movie about somebody's red belt? There was a movie starring Woody Harrelson that took place on a train in Russia? Who names their child Vicky Cristina? Josh Hartnett, really? These are all valid questions. I have been kind enough to narrow your list down to only 10 essential films. That's right the wait is over, take a look at my Top 10 Films of 2008 (in no particular order):

The Visitor
Redbelt
The Dark Knight
Slumdog Millionaire
Role Models
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Transsiberian
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
August
Under The Same Moon

I also want to recognize the best film that I saw all year. I am setting it aside because technically it doesn't count as if came out over ten years ago. La Haine was a thought provoking, adrenaline rushing, beautifully crafted film that left me breathless. You owe it to yourself to see this film. Thank you for tuning in for this addition of the Princes of the Universe blog. We appreciate your continued support and patience.

SMG

2 comments:

Ann said...

What? No Kung Fu Panda? How can I take your list for real if there's no KFP?

Alison said...

Transsiberian and La Haine were great! Slumdog Millionaire was my favorite this year thus far. Hmmm what to watch, what to watch? Thank [a higher power of your choice] for this great list because I think I'm gonna go with.... The Vistitor next.