Thursday, February 19, 2009

Welcome Back Jason

The thirteenth day of Februay this year had the misfortune of falling on a Friday. Rather than sheltering myself all day long, I behaved like a goat and joyfully sprinted over to the nearest movie theater last weekend. The latest addition to the "Friday the 13th" cinematic series had arrived.

With the powerful name of producer Michael Bay stamped all over it, the newest installment of this neverending horror collection is actually a remake/update of the orginal 1980 horror staple. Honestly, I've never been a dedicated fan of the slasher film genre. The films are all the same. Most of them are pretty lame. Still, for some reason, I always foolishly hope for the best.

Proudly, I am here to announce that the 2009 version of "Friday the 13th" is better than the original. It is a welcome reminder of the goofy joy an audience can share while witnessing pure trash. The movie is excitingly loud, deliciously violent, and remarkably enjoyable. At least for the first half or so. "Friday the 13th" overstays its welcome. Oh well though... I guess that is only nautral. I am thankful the hockey mask at least made an effort. -BTB

No comments: